Federal agents reportedly seized electronic devices belonging to former Rep. Eric Swalwell and searched his Washington home. This was part of an ongoing Eric Swalwell investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct involving the former California congressman.
According to a person familiar with the matter, agents took possession of Swalwell’s devices at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday. The following day, federal agents executed a search warrant at his Washington residence.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation remains ongoing. The details have not been publicly disclosed by federal authorities.
Swalwell has denied allegations of sexual assault and misconduct. A request for comment was also made to an attorney representing the former congressman.
Federal Search Follows Sexual Misconduct Allegations
The latest development follows Swalwell’s resignation from Congress in April after multiple allegations of sexual misconduct became public.
The allegations include claims that Swalwell sexually assaulted a woman on two occasions, including an allegation involving a former employee. Additional women have also accused the former congressman of inappropriate conduct, including allegedly sending unsolicited explicit messages or nude photographs.
Swalwell has denied the allegations.
The Eric Swalwell investigation also involves allegations concerning an incident in New York City. The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office confirmed in April that it was investigating after a former staff member alleged that Swalwell raped her at a hotel in 2024. He was in New York for a charity gala at the time.
The district attorney’s office encouraged survivors and anyone with information about the allegations to contact its Special Victims Division.
Another woman, Lonna Drewes of California, publicly alleged in April that Swalwell raped her in 2018 at a Southern California hotel. Swalwell denied that allegation as well.
Attorney Arick Fudali, who represents Drewes, said his client and her legal team were encouraged by what they described as an escalation of the federal investigation.
The allegations remain allegations, and no criminal conviction has been reported in connection with them.
Swalwell Leaves Congress and California Governor’s Race
Swalwell announced his resignation from Congress in April, ending a political career that began with his election to the U.S. House in 2012.
The California Democrat represented a district east of San Francisco. He became one of the most prominent Democratic critics of President Donald Trump during Trump’s first administration.
Swalwell served on the House Judiciary and Intelligence committees. He was also one of the Democratic prosecutors involved in Trump’s second impeachment. This process took place following the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Before leaving Congress, Swalwell had also been considered a leading potential candidate in California’s gubernatorial race. He ended his campaign after the sexual misconduct allegations emerged.
His political career had previously included a presidential campaign. Swalwell launched his bid for the Democratic nomination in April 2019. However, he ended the campaign several months later after struggling to gain significant support.
Swalwell’s Previous Controversy Involving a Suspected Chinese Spy
Swalwell also faced scrutiny over his past contact with Christine Fang. Fang is a Chinese national suspected by U.S. intelligence officials of attempting to develop relationships with American political figures.
Fang reportedly became involved with Swalwell’s political campaign when he was first running for Congress in 2012. She also participated in fundraising activities connected to his 2014 campaign.
Federal investigators alerted Swalwell to their concerns about Fang in 2015. Swalwell has said that he ended contact with her after receiving the briefing.
He was not accused of wrongdoing in connection with Fang. A House Ethics Committee investigation opened in 2021 ultimately closed two years later without disciplinary action.
Nevertheless, the controversy contributed to political pressure surrounding Swalwell. In 2023, then-House Speaker Kevin McCarthy removed him from the House Intelligence Committee.
The current Eric Swalwell investigation is separate from the earlier controversy involving Fang and concerns allegations of sexual misconduct.
California Special Election Changes Swalwell’s Former District
While the federal investigation develops, Swalwell’s former congressional district has already moved toward new representation.
California state lawmaker Aisha Wahab won a special election Thursday to serve the remainder of Swalwell’s House term. His term runs through January.
Wahab is expected to seek a full two-year term in the November election.
The federal investigation into Swalwell remains ongoing. The seizure of his electronic devices and search of his Washington residence represent significant developments in the allegations that contributed to his departure from Congress.




